Thursday, April 21, 2005

4/19 & 4/20

Well..it was fun for almost a month, but the smallmouth and largemouth bite on the quarries has gone south. There wasn't a bass to be found last night even under optimum conditions. We'll let them spawn and hit them again in a couple weeks when they're done.
Crappies and channel catfish, on the other hand, are going ballistic near ANY incoming water source. I got a few crappies on smallmouth bass jigs just by accident. I spoke to another fisherman who had been catching dozens of crappies and 10 channel cats up to 25" long in about 2 hours. He was using crappie minnows under a slip bobber by a downed tree at a creek mouth. He said he caught 3 nice walleyes in Batavia earlier in the day, which he iced...Boooooo! Guess he doesn't know what a Life Size Trophy Print is.
So...now it's back to the rivers where the fish should be in the stages that the lake fish were in 2 weeks ago. Hopefully we can score big again and get you some more pix of 20" smallies.
Stay tuned....

This just in from Mike:
Hit the bridges today looking for bass but not expecting much. Started with a Jig and didn't see squat on all four pilings... not even a splash mark.
Half way across the river, I notice upstream, a fly-fisherman looking guy decked out in ORvis making a bee-line for the same spot I'm heading to... he beat me to it, so I let him cast all over. Then I switched to a white buzz and ran it right along the wall. As soon as the blade clicked the cement... POW! A nice fat 18-19" er.
Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Had another fish blow up on it in the same spot.. 6 times and I couldn't hook it. I swear the fish was slapping at it with it's tail all most. If I didn't hit the wall with the buzz, he would ignore it.... but as soon as I made contact with the cement.. bang... Wound up with 2 more as time ran out. Both about 13"... I'm starting to like the river again. There are a lot more bridge pilings to hit around here and knowing the buzz is working will cut back on tackle..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home