Monday, March 31, 2008

Say hello to my little friend!!!

Please excuse me as I put on my totally psychopathic, deranged, maniacal alter ego clown suit for a minute.

Ok..so you've all been following the ramblings of a madman (me) as I work day and night in my dungeon on an entire series of Frankstein-esque lures. Fueled by an endless supply of Starbucks coffee and a drink that Mike and I call "The Pipestone" (send me an email for the recipe. jamie@customfish.com) the visions came to life in grotesque forms of bastardized greatness brandishing ultra sharp hook and an attitude that could only be described as...well...piss in a bottle.
First was the Nemo Slider. I mean..really..think about it.. who the hell would take a child's iconic figure and turn it into an instrument of destruction? I'll tell you who. Me.


Next I thought 'why not take some nice cute unassuming tropical fish and...well...ya know....turn them into instruments of destruction.' And a series of Malawi Bucktails and Spoons were born. Awww..such a cute little fish. Too bad there's a massive friggin hook sticking out of it's....


Then, something went wrong. A bolt of lightning hit the house and ran thru the entire dungeon while I was in the midst of painting pretty,pretty flowers on a muskie lure. And from that incident was born something unseen by man. A boa constrictor skin wrapped Magnum Spook.


Yesterday though, something different happened. Something....well..evil.
Hey..have you ever seen 'Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde"? Yes? Ok, keep that in mind.

If you've been reading this site for a while you'll surely recognize this character.

Ah yes. Wilson. The legendary Wilson. The single most devistating topwater bass lure ever created by God himself. He is responsible for catching more bass than any other lure I or anyone I know has thrown. His record is superb. His offenses are relentless. His demeanor is ruthless. He IS the Master of Disaster...The King Of Sting..The Count of Minto Fist-O! He talks smack and backs it up with a bitchslap. He takes no prisoners. And the slightest hum of his theme music (Darth Vader's Imperial March) causes Mike to instantly drop his rod and cry out " Oh that's just great. Why don't ya just catch 'em ALL while you're at it. I quit!".
Yes. He IS the lure that I will take on ANYONE reading this article with. I'll take your money. He'll take your pride. And we'll both wipe that silly smile off your face!

For years I tried to think of an equal for bigger quests. We do, after all, go after things like this.

And while Wilson would be more than happy to enter the abyss of monster laden waters filled with thousands of angry competitors complete with sets of 400 razor sharp teeth each, I tend to hold him back. I'm not about to lose my secret weapon.
But what could be just as lethal to fish like that? Sure I have a Child's icon that is sure to send waves of hatred thru the water. And I have my cutesy Malawi bucktails that look rather unassuming, yet will surely pull your heart out and step on it with stiletto heals. And I even have a Spook wrapped in boa skin that just screams 'Go ahead...make my day.' But I had nothing that would strike fear into the hearts of men and monster fish alike.
Until now.
Maybe it was too much Starbucks. Maybe it was just a moment of genius. Or possibly a moment of madness. I needed help. Or at the very least a sedative. A call was placed to a fellow mad scientist with a steadier hand then mine.
The Magnum Super Spook was sent out with a note that read "let me know when it's done."
What I got back was a message a couple days later on my phone that said simply "..something wicked this way comes..." *click

And that brings us back to yesterday. I hereby announce that fear will now be felt in the hearts of all! For I now hold The Kingdom, The Power, AND The Glory! (can I get an 'amen'?!)
Behold..The cloned monstrosity that is pure evil personified!
PEOPLE! I GIVE YOU YOUR DOOM!
WILSON 2XL!!!!!!!



I know what you're thinking. Probably the same thing I was thinking the first time I saw it. Something kinda like this?


You're lucky! I have to live with this thing. I have to keep the son of a b**** chained up in the dungeon! hell, as soon as I let him out of his cage he did THIS!

Then he went after the cat! All I found was this!


I took one look and said "That's cold man. Just cold."
He smiled,Winked and said "As Samuel L. Jackson said in Pulp Fiction..."I'm a mushroom cloud layin' mother******. Mother******!"

The next time you will see Wilson 2XL will be in early june when we venture to Great Slave Lake again. I'm sure he'll be featured in several photos of himself with victim monster pike. He is, after all, on a mission. And as Roddy Piper once said " I have come here to chew bubble gum and to kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."



(Wilson 2XL was created by a new company called Mad Scientist Productions. For info, send me an email at jamie@customfish.com.)