Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mike's Florida Report Part 3

Well we set up on the last night for some Shark fishing. Rich wasn't leaving without one and to be honest we'd had enough of him so... a shark he wants... a shark he'll get. Pat set the rods, rigging both up with spanish mackerel that we'd caught earlier in the day.



Then he paddled the baits out for what seemed like two football fields and dropped them into the deep water. It didn't take long for the fish to start biting but 5 pick-ups later Rich still hadn't hooked up. Then came the sixth bite... FISH ON ROD-1!



Pat straps Rich in. (I could make a joke here but it's just too easy)




I love this next shot. Pat is coaching Rich who's possibly met his match...



Hold it guys, fish on Rod-2.... seconds later a huge Tarpon breaks the surface and tosses rig-2. That would have been a circus for sure. Now back to Rich as a crowd is forming. People are setting out lawn chairs and running back to their rooms for cameras.. one group ordered a pizza. This is going to take awhile.. notice the sun setting... and the clouds forming.







At the end of hour #1 Rich begins to question his sanity. So do we. Small children run in fear, a priest is called, the priest runs in fear, I refill my gin & tonic...




Then the heavens opened up as a thunderstorm unleashes lighting, thunder and buckets of rain... the fight goes on and actually the rain feels good though than my G&T is getting watered down. (I'm only there for moral support at this point) Half the crowd leaves but 10 or so remain with our fearless fisherman... or is it foolish fisherman...





Finally as we close on hour 2 the Shark nears the beach. Pat and Randy jump in and grab it's tail to get her up on the shore for a quick photo-op and release.





Congratulations Rich on your first Shark! Rich had this to say after the trip while recovering from his second of two knee replacements:

Still on pain killers from yesterday's surgery, but if I can be coherent for a few seconds, I have to say that that shark was one of the most memorable experiences of my life, let alone fishing.

I think immediately after, when Mike asked me how I felt, I compared it to the feeling of running a half marathon. Awesome.

Man, I love big fish.


Well that's it. I'd like to thank Pat Halko for his supreme Florida guiding and mostly Cliff and Betty Hooks for the giving us the opportunity of a lifetime. This is one trip we'll never forget.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, June 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh.
I was half expecting there to be a joke at the end of this story, and to see that Rich would have caught, say, a two-foot long hammerhead like the one MIke helped me catch once in South Carolina. But this is amazing. And huge! And . . . kind of creepy! It looks remarkably like the snake-monster in Tremors.
Mike's sister Therese, from Madison
PS. I REALLY want to tell how Mike "broke his foot" (mentioned in Part 1 of the story)

 
At Monday, June 30, 2008 , Blogger J said...

Iksnay on the OotFay Sis!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home