Friday, June 03, 2005

6/1/05 Fox River. & 6/2/05 AM

Jamie here.
Mike and I hit the Fox River last night in his boat. We launched at about 7pm and headed upstream for a half a mile or so to an area that Mike has been fishing for years. Our main baits the we threw were topwater lures like buzzbaits and Chug Bugs. While covering all of Mike's best-kept-secret spots we raised up quite a few smallmouth bass. Mike caught 4 or 5. I got one and a foul hooked carp that I fought for the better part of 15 minutes.




At spot #1 we watched this gentleman fight a monster carp on a dry fly. It was a cool battle to witness.
Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Mike was the first one to connect with a good size smallmouth bass that exploded on a Chug Bug as we fished shoreline rocks and small wing dams.

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

I tied into a big carp by accident after Mike caught a couple more smallies. It ripped out 100 yards of line a couple times as it made some tremedous power-runs downstream. I got it in after about 15 minutes of a back and forth fight


Image hosted by TinyPic.com


Mike nailed a couple more nice smallies as darkness fell.
Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Image hosted by TinyPic.com

And I picked up a nice one that slammed a buzzbait in the last spot of the trip.
Image hosted by TinyPic.com




................................
6/2/05
I had a half hour to kill this morning so i ran down to the river to make a couple casts. I only got one...but she was pretty nice. I caught this fish over the weekend as well on a jig & twister set-up. Today she went after a Chug Bug twitched on the surface of the water. That's a real testiment as to how well catch & release fishing works. I'm going to stay away from this spot for a while because I don't want to catch her a third time.....just wouldn't be fair.
Image hosted by TinyPic.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home