Saturday, April 22, 2006

which way the wind blows

The lakes and ponds have slowed down a little in the past couple of days. Still some bass to be caught but it seems that the majority ( for me anyway) have "other" thoughts on their minds. I also choose to blame it on the wind. We had a steady east wind all last week that changed to a south-west wind a couple days ago. That seemed to drive alot of the bass off of the rocks that they were using. Steady weather, good or bad, is always a welcome thing...even an east wind for a week.

Mike did way better than me on lake "W" the other day. Basically he cleaned my clock. I was able to squeak in a couple bass and miss a couple more while Mike got into double digits pretty quick. In my own defense I wasn't really concentrating too much that day ( yeah..right) and had other stuff like work on my mind. His magic lure was a Mann's Minus One in Autumn color.

Mike also seems to be doing very well on the river. As a general rule we fish two different rivers. He lives close to one and I the other. I followed his advice yesterday and made a quick half hour stop at one of my favorite river spots. Got a couple smallies , nothing to write home about. Judging by the silt line on the rocks, the rains of wednesday had the water crankin' about 3 feet over normal which on my little river is a major change. I think in another day the smallies will have re-adjusted to life at normal water levels again. On my river high water is a bad thing. On Mike's river ( much bigger major river) it's a good thing. Ahh.. all these funny little nuances, right? Hey..it's still easier than golf.

Today I took a fast trip to a local pond and picked up a couple largemouth and a couple smallies. Again..nothing to write home about but at least that says things are still happening despite the weather changes of the past three days.
Lures that I have been using are Rapala X-Rap, Husky Jerk, Storm Sub Wart, mann's Minus One and the Salmo Boxer. The boxer is still beating the snot out of every other lure used. For jigs I'm using a 1/8 oz Charlie Brewer Slider head with a Berkely Gulp Minnow. Seems to be working pretty well the past couple of weeks.

That's all for now. Get out and fish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home