Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Just like that...*poof*..he was gone" ~ Kaiser Sose~

Darn cold front! Killed the bite for me. Cranks didn't do much yesterday. 90 minutes with 1 14" largemouth to show for it. Areas that were crawling with prespawn hefty female smallies are now empty. On the flip side, the only guys who caught anything in the area yesterday were Customfish friends Mick and Dan. They had a blast with live bait while putting up some big numbers of a mixed bag of bass, bluegills, crappies and cats. I wish I had some live bait on me!
And then there's these thunderstorms rolling in. That aint gonna help either with temps going down to the 40's mid-next week. Looks like sunday-tuesday is gonna be the windowof opportunity. But...are the fish gonna be staging again with yet another massive cold front coming thru wednesday? That gives them a couple days to set up shop. Ahhh..the plot thickens.
If you're heading out, I'd reccomend using tubes or other 3" plastics today. Work em slow. WAY slow. The fish may be on a crayfish bite due to crayfish becoming more active with faster than usual warmer water temps. Tomorrow they could be back on the husky jerk, rattle bait bite. I dunno..give it a whirl. Drop me a line and let me know what works for you and I'll put you up here.

In other news: I stopped at my local tackle shop yesterday to get some Rattlin Raps and some Storm Swimmin Shads. I also picked up a new pair of polarized sunglasses.

Ok..there's a difference of opinion on polarized sunglasses. Me personally, I think it's absolutely stupid to spend more than $20 on a pair of sunglasses that you are sure to break at some point. I had a pair of Gargoyles once. ONCE. And I managed to scratch the lenses. I would rather not get that angry again over a pair of sunglasses.

Ya see, sunglasses are sold by the name. I work in an industry where we have to buy ALOT of sunglasses to counter the 8k watt UV high intensity lamps that we use. While I am no expert in the science of sunglasses, I can tell you that a fashionable pair of $20 UVEX sunglasses from Lab Safety Co are alot better than a $100 pair of Bat Wings. Oh..and they look the same as all the fancy name brands. So while some guys are buying glasses that the "pros" use just because of the name, I'm buying glasses that are better so that we don't go blind. And Costa Del Mars aint gonna help us out that much in the polarized department.

Normally I buy knock offs for $15 a crack. These are my leisure/fishing/non work glasses. There is not a person on the planet who can tell that my Ray Ban knock offs arent Ray Bans unless they are WAY too close in my personal space. Plus..no matter what the knock off type, the polarized ratings are just about equal. How equal?? Equal enough where I'm gonna spot that fish in the water as fast if not faster than anyone wearing Costa Del Mar or Oakleys.

So..here's my official recommendation. Get yourself sunglasses by Calcutta. They are awesome! I was able to again see fish, mudlines made by currents 100' out, rocks, everything. Here's the good part...$20!! Or go online and find em cheaper.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=114&s=165&b=CALCUTTA&search=GO
Save the extra cash for more lures. Trust me on this.

And if anyone thinks that the $100 Bat Wings they're wearing are any better at sighting things underwater, I'd like to issue a challenge. Let's go fishing. If you spot more than I do I'll give you $100 so you can buy an extra pair of Nicole Richies and matching handbag. If you don't, you pay me $100 and I'll go get 5 more pairs of Calcuttas.