Saturday, May 26, 2007

Happy Memorial Day

Mike and Pat got out yesterday (5-24-07). Let's check in with Mike and see how they did.
Mike, take it away:

Here's Pat with his first fish he got in about 5 minutes while I'm still trying to tie my line. The thing about Pat.. or should I just say one of the many, many things about Pat that piss you off is he shows up with a big 14" clear Plano box with about 5 lures in it, all of which I wouldn't use other than the Husky Jerk and the Zara Puppy, no pliers, no clippers... and he schools you. This first fish was merely huge! Pat was born with 12" arms so you can really get an idea of the actual size of this possible state record bass (* cough cough). Too bad he doesn't carry a tape measure either.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After throwing the Yozuri L minnow for about 10 minutes with nothing but weeds to show for it. I switched to the black Chatterbait and immediately struck gold on the windy (understatement) side of the lake.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Nothing else for the next 30 minutes but a few bumps and misses and I'd had enough and looked for calmer water. Three casts later I got another nice fish while "Gabby" was on his cell phone about 50 feet away. The LM's were really skyrocketing tonight, flips, twirls... priohuettes (sp?) it was really something, you'd think they were smallmouth... anyhow as I got this fish close to shore, danged if there weren't 3 or 4 other LM's about the same size trying to grab the lure from it's mouth. If it would have had a treble hook I could've had a double. AND a foot deeper there's two big smallies in the chase trying to get in on the action.

"PHAT - PHROW BAPH! PHROWWWWWW BAPH!!!!!" I yell to Pat.

"What?"

"THROW BACK YOU IDIOT!" I scream, spitting the cigar out of my mouth.
"THERE'S A SCHOOL OF FISH RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME TRYING TO BITE THE LURE FROM MY BASS!"

Problem 1. - He's on the phone

Problem 2. - He doesn't have a lure on his line.

So I let this fish swim back and forth for 3 minutes with the rest of the school close behind as Pat tries desperately to tie a knot with me yelling at him... Needless to say he got nada. A senko or a hula grub would have been perfect but he only has 4 lures in his giant case because he only fished for "Muskies and Sharks and other BIG FISH" Whoopdie Doo!

Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda had a couple more of these...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Well after that it poured rain and I had to make a mad dash for the car and not ruin a $1200 camera. That's when Pat fired up the Smallie Machine and proceeded to shut me up. Note to self. Let Pat stick to Sharks in Florida.

Another note: I catch a lot of grief for my "Fishing Rosary" as they call it. It's really quite handy though kind of goofy. I have my clippers, hemostat, hook sharpener, thermometer, flashlight and everything you need to poke yourself in the groin when you bend over... OUCH!

The alternatvie.. dropping all that stuff in the weeds somewhere or trying to fish it out of one the many pockets on my vest. Plus now it has turned into a goodluck kinda safety belt tiki god thingy for me. All hail to the fishing gods. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'
************************************

Thank you Mike. In other news. I've been out a bit here and there. Topwater bite is still working for me. The Zara Puppy, A Strike King buzzbait, The Lunker City Salad Spoon, and ofcourse the Chug Bug. Work 'em close to shore.
Customfish resident Carne Asada expert Luis and I had a fun outting yesterday in 40MPH winds. Got alot of bass...nothing huge. But we did see God at one point.That was cool.

And finally, we leave you with this as we wish all of you out there a happy memorial day.
Be safe out there....and don't look at this while you're driving.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket