Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Stuff for Pipestone.


The trip to Pipestone Lodge is coming up in the first week of July. For the guys who are going here's some of my A-list material. I suggest shopping at Kolar Bait & Tackle..they can hook you up. I'll be there sunday morning early and can personally walk thru some stuff.
A few of the baits pictured are Rapala X-Rap, the Rapala DT4, The Salmo Roach, The Salmo Bullhead, Yamamoto soft palstics, Zara spooks or Zara puppies ( I like the smaller puppies myself), Mepp's spinners ( size 3,4 and 5 please). Rapala Shad Rap.
I'm also going with Yamamota Senkos. As well as Yamamoto Hula Grubs. 3and 4" Berkley power grubs in jigs work well too. Regular floating Rapalas are great.
Topwaters... we're gonna have a LOT of fun on topwaters. Favorites for Buzz and I that bring in alot of smallies up there are WHITE buzzbaits(4 to 1/2 oz size.), Chug Bugs ( those took ALOT of HUGE fish), Rapala Skitter Pops, Heddon Cazy Crawler, I'd even throw a Lunker City Salad Spoon or a Grass Frog if we find some reeds.
You may want to pick up 6" Berkley Powerworms and 1/0 Gamakatsu work hooks and some 3/8 oz bullet weights to go "wormin' on the edges of rocks and weeds. I can show you that in a few minutes up there as far as technique.
Spinnerbaits in the 1/4 to 1/2oz sizes are a good bet. Keep em simple...white/ silver..maybe gold.
PLUS.. if you can find spinnerbaits that are CHEAP..get em. Get a few of them. I'll show you guys a trick up there for pike that is just kick-ass! With said trick, Buzz and I caught 66 in ONE evening! You'll thank me for it. Cheap spinnerbaits with colorado blades on em. ( go to walmart and raid the $1 bin).
Rapala Husky Jerks are going to be a good thing to have as well. Don't go with the bigger sizes...save those for the pike.
Speaking of pike...you're going to get into a few of them. If you want to target them I'd recommend either downsizing the pike lures a bit or plan on running the big stuff in 20+' of water. Pipestone bottoms out at 300' so there's a ton of 50'+ water.
Colors? All I can tell you is GO NATURAL!!!! Whites, blacks, golds, silvers, minnow colors....We didn't get too many on firetiger and the like. The water is VERY VERY clear.


I'll put more up as I think of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home