Tuesday, April 03, 2007

3-31-07 & 4-2-07

Got out with Mich and his son in law for a short trip to Lake W on 4-2. Kinda slow. Water is still WAY high and REALLY muddy. Mich got on board with his first fish of the '07 season, a nice 17" largemouth caught mid-pipe-current on a silver Rattle Trap then followed that up with a smaller one. Not bad for a muskie/pike fisherman.. I picked up one on a slider head/Ika (pumpkinseed color). Picked up another one on a slider/powercraw(pumpkinseed). Damen stuck to a tube jig (brown) and got one out of the rip rap. After they left I hit a smaller pond hooked up to Lake W for 10 minutes and picked up a couple 13-14" out of 1-2' rocks along the shoreline. One on a Storm Subwart (baby bass pattern) and one on a Bandit crankbait (orange crayfish). Not a total bust but with cold front after cold front blasting thru all week, you can't expect much more. Any incoming water source from warmer groundwater is still the key.

3-31-07 My brother and I tried for smallies on one of our local smallmouth bass lakes for an hour. It's still very slow. I stuck to guiding more than catching this time. He got a very nice smallie on a Berkley tube jig (camo color) from a breakline that goes from a shallow flat into deeper water. He also picked up a pretty nice largemouth. I missed a fish or two as did he. It's a real lite bite, again due to some monster cold fronts this week. I managed to get a few crappies from a warmer feeder creek inflow.

Check back later for pictures of Mike's huge bass from Florida. I haven't seen it yet but I do know it shattered his 9' steelhead rod. Looks like we're going shopping again...